Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sister turned mum against me, financial reasons. (Read 1157 times)
Maiden
Newbies

I'm new!

Sister turned mum against me, financial reasons.
Mar 22nd, 2015 at 11:51am

When my step father died in 2012 my mum didnt want to stay on her own so it was agreed with my sister that my husband and I should move it.My mum was happy for us to put our house on the market and all was going well until I told my sister how much money was left to my mum. (We were both made joint POA) so I thought it was right that she be kept informed of all the finances. Behind my back she colluded with my mum's sister (who is also a close friend of hers) and to cut a long story short my husband and I were put out. Fortunately our house didn't sell so we moved our furniture and ourselves back in. I was very hurt to receive a solicitors letter within a week asking for the passwords to banks, laptop etc., Both my mum and sister knew where they were and I then received another letter a few days later advising my mother's sister was now made POA. This must have been organised while I was still at mums. I had no idea what was going on behind my back.
I've tried to contact my mum by letter and phone but they, my sister and aunt have stopped me. They changed her phone number and when mum phoned me out of the blue the number is withheld.
My daughter and son have phoned my sister and was told not to phone back.
My mum is 85 and ailing and in the phone call she was hurt and annoyed about not seeing me but said she has to go along with things or they will put her in a home. I haven't seen her for 2 years now nor spoken to her since Oct 2014.
Basically this whole episode is all about money. My sister by her own admission has no money yet since I was put out in Jan 2013 she is driving a brand new car and has been on at least 3 foreign holidays each time for more than a month.
I've spoken to the social work dep. who have interviewed my mum and they advised she is no longer able to look after her herself or her finances and they are satisfied that she is happy and being cared for. They were very sharp and uninterested in my concerns.
I've informed the Office of Public Guardian, of my concerns more than a year ago and they are still investigating.
As time goes past I thought this problem would right itself but it hasn't so I am left on on the outside with no way of knowing my mum is alright. My sister by her own admission doesn't like nor has ever liked my mum. My aunt is and has always been in a financial crisis.
I have always had a good relationship with my mum, I spoke to her everyday either by phone or skype and we had a lovely time with her when we stayed with her. I dont know what happened but I do know I need to do something but I dont know what that something is. My health is now suffering because of this.
Is there something legal I should be doing?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009