Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any solicitors out there to answer a question? (Read 3574 times)
Maiden
Newbies

I'm new!

Any solicitors out there to answer a question?
May 17th, 2015 at 7:05pm

Pretty simple question really but I cant afford £'s to find the answer. My sister has coerced my elderly mother to give her money.  There's £250,000 in the pot after stepfathers death. Found out through facebook mother is in a home. Sister is off on holiday and running around in a new car. I'm being excluded from all decision making and I have been barred from seeing my mum. (SW now got the bar lifted as there is no good cause).  Bottom line is my sister wants all the money (and getting it). Can a visit to a solicitor stop this out of control train?

IP Logged

Lil Mo

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: Any solicitors out there to answer a question?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2015 at 10:49am

Hi - firstly I am not a lawyer but can possibly point you in the right direction.  Why is your Mother in a nursing home - has she got dementia? if so then you could contact the Guardian's Office they are based in Falkirk.  Apart from that your sister should not be able to coerce your mother into giving her money as that should be kept aside for her home fees etc.  I would hope that the Guardian's Office would guide you on this - I know from past experience that they are very helpful.  You could also try speaking to the Citizens Advice they could possibly point you in the right direction also but do explain that you have not got money to pay for a solicitor etc. 

I hope this has helped a little and please do let us know how you get on.

IP Logged

Maiden
Newbies

I'm new!

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2015 at 10:19pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer my dilemma. Apparently my mum has dimentia therefore her needs are met by an appointed POA who happens to be my mums sister. The Guardian office have inspected the finances so this is ongoing. I have contacted the CAB who advise me to challenge the POA. This will cost £400. I can afford the £150 for an hour to speak to a solicitor but I cant afford the ongoing costs involved in trying to reverse what has already happened. Infact I dont think I stand a chance of reversing the situation.  Ive been removed as joint POA (my sister and I were joint) by my mums sister after she and my sister found out how much money my mum has. They have done everything to separate me and my mum and has managed that very well. She changed my mums phone number and has stopped all conact between us. She is also my sisters friend.  Basically they dont want me involved. Mums house has been emptied of everything and its ready to go on the market I have had no involvement  in this and it hurts that I cant even get a small momento of my past. Please note that I have done nothing wrong here and dont understand the hell they have put me through for money. Is there anything else I should be doing?

IP Logged

Lil Mo

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2015 at 12:00pm

Firstly you need to contact the Guardians Office ASAP as the power of attorney cannot be changed if your Mother was suffering from Dementia at the time - if it has you can have this changed and the Guardians Office will appoint a POA (it is not the same name but it is the same thing).  You must emphasise all of your concerns to the Guardians Office and also inform them that you have had to get the Social Worker to allow you to visit your Mother and also what you feel with regards to them isolating you.  It is good that the Guardians are looking into the finances - this may be all that is necessary especially if you think there have been misdemeanors.  You can challenge the POA with the Guardians Office.  Also inform them that they have emptied your mothers house and if it is your feeling that they have not dealt with this appropriately as in selling the furniture and items contained within this is more grounds for you.  You can also ask for a breakdown of what has been sold and to whom and for what amount. Hope this helps.  Please do let us know how you get on.

IP Logged

Maiden
Newbies

I'm new!

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 9:39pm

Thank you so much I appreciate your post.  I wil happily keep you informed.

IP Logged

Maiden
Newbies

I'm new!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2015 at 4:35pm

Story so far. The Public guardian say that they are about to conclude their investigation and whilst they had some queries at the start they believe everything is in order now. I can't be told anything further. My mother was not diagnosed with dementia until September 14 so all money given away to my sister and aunt would be seen as a gift. The 25k car my sister is running around in was agreed by my aunt (the POA) so that appears to be 'alright.'  My mum has been put in a home and her house is being used by the both of them as a holiday home and when I went round to visit and try and sort things out they phoned the police. I've been advised by the police to stay away. May I add that the conversation I had had no raised voices or anything to justify a call to the police.
It seems to me that every door is closed and I dont have a leg to stand on. My sister is spending my mums money and I cant do a thing about it. I think this is the end of the story. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum © Kevin F Crombie 2009