Scottish Law Online Discussion Forum
Legal Education >> Students >> Scots Law in England

Message started by robertsont on May 26th, 2003 at 7:44pm

Title: Scots Law in England
Post by robertsont on May 26th, 2003 at 7:44pm

I'm a student at Edinburgh University studying Scots law. Can anyone tell me what the process is if I want to practice law in England having taken the diploma in leglal practice in Scotland and how long this takes? (English Property Law exams?) Am I required to do my traineeship in Scoltand or England?

Secondly, is having a non-hons degree going to be detrimental to finding alternative employment should I decide against law? (it will still be an LLB)

Many thanks in advance,


Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by scottishlaw on May 28th, 2003 at 6:12am
What year are you in?

If you have taken the Diploma in Scotland you may be better to do the traineeship in Scotland then convert.  If you haven't yet, it is easier to do the one year Scots to English conversion course then do the one year english equivalent of the Diploma.

If you have already qualified as a Scottish Solicitor, I think it only takes a couple of weeks to do the exams and you can study in your part time while you are working in a firm before that.

I don't know how easy it is to jump from Scottish diploma directly to English traineeship.  There are quite a few firms in Scotland that can give you a UK wide traineeship:

Shepherds; and
a few others too...

Obviously some of these encourage it more than others.  With these firms you may be able to leave the Diploma and start off in one of their English offices.  

Have you started considering applying for a job yet?

Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by JOANNA on Aug 30th, 2003 at 3:42am
hi there
im an english girl living in scotland doing scottish law and i have been told i will have to do 5yrs in england to study english law, but you can do it through open university.
english and scottish law are totally different
best wishes

Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by scottishlaw on Aug 30th, 2003 at 6:28pm
There are three different stages that people who decide they want to convert from Scottish to English Law will generally be at:

1.  immediately after completion of a Scottish law degree;

2.  immediately after completion of the one year Diploma in Legal Practice course in Scotland; and

3.  after completion of a two year legal traineeship with a Scottish law firm (which includes completion of the PCC and TPC).

The options open to you depend on the stage that you are at when you decide to convert.  English law is different from Scottish law but not a great deal different.

The Law Society of England & Wales have a series of pages on their site detailing the steps required to become an English solicitor.

If you are planning to do this after the first two events above then you may have to do the CPE (Common Professional Examination (a conversion course for people who haven't already done an English law degree)) followed by the LPC (Legal Practice Course (English equivalent of the Diploma).  It may be the case that a scaled down version of the CPE is available for people who have done a Scottish law degree.  

I don't know if the fact that you have done the Diploma in Scotland will help.  The Diploma is a practical course and spending a year learning about Scottish criminal and civil court procedure and about which conveyancing forms to fill in and how to draft a Scottish Will isn't very useful if you want to practise in England.

If you have reached the third stage above and are now a qualified Scottish solicitor then you will have to sit the Property paper in the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test to become a qualified English solicitor.  See the following page for this:

Regulation 7 of the QLTT applies to Scottish Solicitors:

Just to make this useful for overseas visitors too - the Law Society's pages on foreign qualification are here:

That link also has more info on the QLTT.

Hope some of this helps.

Good luck!

Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by kyle on Nov 6th, 2004 at 1:08am
cheers guys, thats extremely helpful  ;)

Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by reva on Oct 9th, 2005 at 1:07am

I have recently completed the LLB (Hons) 2:1, but it is in English Law. I have started the LPC (Equivalent to the Scottish diploma). I am orginally from Scotland and am keen to get back to the homeland!

I understand the only way to convert to Scots Law is to complete the Intra-transfer test after becoming qualified in England. Is this true, and does anyone know anyone who has done this and whether it is difficult?


Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by Neil on Oct 18th, 2005 at 8:37pm
I know someone who is doing it at the moment and I think it is one three hour exam.  

The alternative is to retrain in Scotland before you qualify, but that would mean another 3 years of full time study (LLB and Dip LP).

At this stage, you would seem best to qualify in England then convert.  The Law Society of Scotland webiste has info on the conversion requirements.

Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by taxman on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 7:41pm
There is good info on Manchester University website and there is also a law fair there on 23 November

Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by junkpro11 on Mar 17th, 2007 at 3:42pm
I'm studying scots law but maybe want to become a corporate lawyer in england. What steps do I have to take?


Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by simba on Mar 17th, 2007 at 8:08pm
Please read above!

Title: Re: Scots Law in England
Post by rarees on Jul 7th, 2009 at 9:58pm
just want to say thanks to what has been said, its helped me, as i live in scotland and would like the opportunity to work in scotland in the future, but im starting the law conversion course in england, but currently doing a vacation placement in edinburgh!
it's not the best with scotland and england/wales having different law systems!

Scottish Law Online Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2010. All Rights Reserved.