Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Travel insurance claim & Data protection advice (Read 3139 times)
ineedsomehelp
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Travel insurance claim & Data protection advice
Feb 26th, 2003 at 12:20am

I hope someone can help me with an ongoing problem we have been having.  Its quite long winded, I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.  I hope I don't bore anyone...........

We took out some ski holiday insurance cover, through a risk management company.  We took out cover via the website for cover in USA / Canada.  A friend of ours who was travelling with us, also opted for the same policy, but arranged his himself.

When we got the cover note, 24 hours before we travelled it was for Europe cover.  I rang up and got it changed.  I told them a friend was also travelling with us and his needed to be USA/Canada.  The rep checked my friends details and sad his was also Europe cover (is that not a Data Protection breech?), they then changed it to USA/Canada cover, off my say so (are they allowed to do that?)

Unfortuantely my husband fell whilst on holiday and we needed to submit a claim on our return to the UK.  We were told by the Risk Management company that we were covered for the medical costs, unused ski pass and my husband would get the price of the holiday back, due to inability to ski.

We were passed from pillar to post, asked to fax documents, refax documents, ring this office, ring that office.

I have sent numerous emails to the Risk Management company, they have disclosed details of my husbands claim to me, without having consent from my husband to do so.

Jist of it is...........................on Friday, the insurance company tell us that we are not covered for the cost of the holiday as he actually used the accommodation and have sent him a cheque to cover the medical expenses and unused lift pass.  The Risk Management company asked me what we thought the shortfall was and sent ME a cheque for that amount, with a compliment slip saying sorry for the problems.

Today I get an email, with an attached email that the insurance company have sent to the risk managment co, saying they have reviewed my husband's claim file and he is covered for the accommodation, but they calculate it to be 150 else than the cheque they sent payable to ME.

So in short, I paid the policy, but my husband submitted a claim on a policy that was in his name.  He claimed for 1000, they sent him 300, sent me 700 and now say he is covered for a further 550 (assuming they want the 700 they sent me back)

Thats as brief as I can keep it, there have been too many other problems to mention.

Where do we stand?  Any ideas?
Any advice about the Data Protection issues?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Re: Travel insurance claim & Data protection advic
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2003 at 7:07am

This sounds like a horrendous nightmare from the start.  In truth, I'm not sure where to start.

It is a good lesson to us all though, that when dealing with call centres, always keep a note of who you spoke to, when you spoke to them and what they said.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009