Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
offer acceptance problem (Read 4341 times)
TH14
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

offer acceptance problem
Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:21pm

hi guys, i have a bit of a contracts poser regarding offer and acceptance, i'd appreciate any thoughts.

offer is made by fax.  electrical storm prevents any form of electronic ommunication i.e. fax, email, ignore mobile phone.  acceptance is made via post. 

is acceptance valid?  i thought so till i read in a book that offers made via fax cannot be accepted via post but it didnt elaborate.  does anyone know any more about this?

thanks

IP Logged

johnmcg

Re: offer acceptance problem
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2004 at 1:34pm

Postal acceptance rules applies to the 'mail'.  If an offer has been made, accepted, consensus in idem is present then there is indeed a contract.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2004 at 10:56pm

Just out of interest, if you want to give a comparative view on your problem, in English law the postal rule is,

Adams v Lindsell,

further clarification on how this applies to electronic and instantaneous communication is found,

Entores v Miles Far East.

Interesting cases - might be worth a read.

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2004 at 11:46pm

Actually - that's a point - isn't the real issue whether a contract has been formed - not necessarily whether you sent the reply by pigeon or by post.

So presumably, provided all of the components of forming a contract are there  - agreement, communication of agreement, etc. then you're okay. 

The issue of the method of communication of acceptance only really becomes relevant when you're trying to work out when the contract was created - presumably because the offeror claims they withdrew the offer before it was accepted. 

Remember these are academic questions - and quite often the reason that you've not found an answer is that they're based on a number of academic assumptions that haven't/wouldn't happen in practice!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009