Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Graduate Diploma in Law (Read 16916 times)
Alan
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Graduate Diploma in Law
Apr 27th, 2004 at 11:41pm

Hello.

Does anyone know what the equivalent of the Graduate Diploma in Law (CPE) is called in Scotland?

IP Logged

traineesolicitor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Graduate Diploma in Law
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 4:12am

Diploma in Legal Practice (Dip LP)

IP Logged

Alan
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 4:48pm

Thank you. But is the Diploma in Legal practice only a one year course, like the CPE?

I have an English degree and would like to study Scottish Law. I am currently living in England, and have found it difficult to find an establishment where I can study Scottish law, as opposed to the English CPE.

Can anyone suggest anything??

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator
Forum Administrator

Scottish Law Online

Scottish Law Online
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:52pm

The Diploma's a one year (about 7 months really) course.

Do you just want to study Scottish law or practise it in the future?  If you just want to study it I think the University of Strathclyde has distance learning courses which may be suitable. 

If you want to practise it then you may be better doing the CPE and the traineeship in England and then apply to Scottish firms for a job once qualified.  You could then do whatever conversion exams the Law Society of Scotland prescribe at that time - http://www.lawscot.org.uk.

If you want to move up now, then contact the Law Society to find out what they require.  It may be that you have to do some form of conversion course to Scottish Law then the Diploma, then the two year traineeship in a Scottish firm.

Good luck.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Neil

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 3:22pm

Isn't the Dip LP the Scottish equivalent of the English Legal Practice Course (LPC)? i.e. the practical course you study after the initial law degree or conversion.

Would the closest equivalent of the Graduate Diploma in Law/CPE conversion course not be the accelerated 2-year Scottish LLB?

N.

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:37am

Sorry, yes it is.

I think the only equivalent really would be the 2 year course but there is another route - do the LPC in England and apply to one of the larger English/Scottish law firms with offices in Scotland - e.g. McGrigors, Masons, DLA - for a traineeship.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009