Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WHERE DO I GO??? (Read 5493 times)
legally_blonde
Newbies

soon, i'll be legally
blonde

fife
WHERE DO I GO???
Jan 21st, 2005 at 12:58am

I have recently been given 6 unconditional offers, all of which are in scotland (aberdeen, abertay, dundee, edinburgh, glasgow and strathclyde). my dilema now is where to go! i've heard lots of good things about all of the universities, but the decision has to be made! i know i don't want to go to edinburgh though!! Tongue
i just wondered if anyone from these universities could help me make up my mind!
thanx Grin Grin

IP Logged

ameliellb
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: WHERE DO I GO???
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 1:09am

Ok, I'm at Edinburgh... I'd say go anywhere except Abertay. The others are tried and tested and it's an unknown quantity. And probably not the best use of your (presumably) good highers. Why not Edin? I'm just curious.

IP Logged

John_Law

Young, Educated, Jobless
& Hungry!

Of no fixed abode...Scotland
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 4:22pm

Don't blame you for not wanting to go to Edinburgh...though there is something to be said about Edinburgh Graduates nabbing all the Trianee placements like so many Germans on the beach (Grumble).

Anyway, I recently finished my legal education at Aberdeen and it is a fantastic University and a good place to live if you can find a flat in the right neighbourhood.

The City has a pretty good night life too Happy.

I noticed with alarm however that a number of my former Professors (one or 2 whom I regard in Very high esteem) are getting ready to leave the Uni as the Law Faculty is going through "Restructuring" though, I sincerely hope that this will not affect the quality of teaching.

If I'd done it when I was supposed to I wouldn't have anything to do now!

IP Logged

legally_blonde
Newbies

soon, i'll be legally
blonde

fife
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 8:38pm

Thanx for your help, perhaps aberdeen would be too far from home anyway! the night life does appeal however!! Wink
i went to the open day for edinburgh, most of the people there were either english or from private schools (non-specific to law), and
i have also heard that the way they teach is very traditional and old fashioned.this doesn't really appeal.
don't worry, abertay is out anyway, its really between dundee, glasgow and aberdeen. the choice!! Roll Eyes
(p.s i got 6 A's woohoo, rather large surprise! )

IP Logged

ameliellb
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 12:37am

Admitted, yeah Edinburgh does do things "traditionally", but that's not necessarily a bad thing. We have some wonderful and esteemed lecturers. And think about it - the city of Edinburgh has the Parliament, the Court of Session, the Scottish Law Commission and other such bodies. These definitely feed into the teaching. There are lots of work experience/volunteering opportunities if you look for them - I don't know if I would have secured my traineeship without such experience - and I don't believe if I would have got them outside of Edinburgh.

Edinburgh Uni - yes there are many English people and private school people. But in the law school, there are hardly any English (for obvious reasons). It honestly makes no difference what school you went to. I went to state school and no-one has ever recoiled in horror if I have incidentally mentioned my old school.

IP Logged

Stair
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 6:42pm

If you are put off by possible snobbery I'd suggest Dundee or Strathclyde. I didn't enjoy my legal education in Edinburgh because I felt the law faculty was rather high on itself, and I have the impression the same is true of Glasgow University. I did my Diploma at Strathclyde, and much preferred that year to my degree in Edinburgh. Most lawyers I've met who studied in Dundee tend to be very positive about their time there.

IP Logged

Pixie

teribilis est locus iste

Glasgow
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 12:17am

I felt that Edinburgh was very up itself when i attended the open day there, so I don't blame you. But I'm at Glasgow Uni, and I don't personally feel there is any snobbery element here. It's a beautiful University in a fantastic city that has everything you need,
the best night life, great shopping and very multi-cultural.

I would also like to point out, hopefully without sounding like a snob myself, that it's a highly acclaimed law school. If you have had offers to 6 then you should be looking at going to one of the best, because you have the ability.

Anyway good luck!  Smiley

IP Logged

John_Law

Young, Educated, Jobless
& Hungry!

Of no fixed abode...Scotland
Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 3:53pm

Quote:
Thanx for your help, perhaps aberdeen would be too far from home anyway! the night life does appeal however!! Wink

Thats odd...When I were a Lad part of the bonus of going to University was getting as far away from my parents as Possible!

If I'd done it when I was supposed to I wouldn't have anything to do now!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009