Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
contract law exam (Read 6199 times)
miss_advocate
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

contract law exam
Jan 22nd, 2005 at 4:43am

Hi folks!  I was wondering if anyone could advise me on a bad situation?
I am in first year at Napier uni doing the LLB.  I had my contract law exam 2 days ago and it was awful.
There are 52 students in first year (including post grads) and they found just as impossible. 
The questions were worded in a confusing manner and every one was about breach of contract.  I had spent every day after christmas revising the whole contract module and was gutted to find this was the only area touched on.
Not one person finished the exam with some only managing two or three questions as there simply was not enough time (2 hours). I belive if I had been given even 45 mins extra I would have completed the paper but stillnot to a good standard as there was just too much to be able to fit it all in.
I am so upset and the part time students have sent a petition to the lecturer.  I dont know what good that will do though as is it not the case that you have to pass all core subjects first time round to get on the diploma?
The standard of teaching there is poor and I was aslo wondering if I would be able to transfer to another uni?
What soultions do the uni have open to them on this matter? (the paper was at least three times longer than the past papers and only on one area)  Angry[color=Red][/color]

Thankyou xx

IP Logged

John_Law

Young, Educated, Jobless
& Hungry!

Of no fixed abode...Scotland
Re: contract law exam
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 2:02pm

Not sure what the Uni can do to help as that is up to the University itself and how it deals with complaints against its academic staff, though if enough people complain then they will probably investigate the situation. 
When you mention Diploma do you mean the DLP?

If I'd done it when I was supposed to I wouldn't have anything to do now!

IP Logged

miss_advocate
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 2:15pm

Yes, I was under the impression that you had to pass all of the core subjects first time round in order to gain entry to the DLP.  Is this correct?
I have finished my other exams which were fine and exactly what was expected but the contract one was definatley impossible and not one person managed to get even hallf the paper finished.
Do the Law Society give regulations as to what is in the exam papers, since they decide the modules to be run? I think being tested purely on breach of contract rather than any other area of contract law is not fair as well as the length and layout. 
Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated  thanks xx

IP Logged

John_Law

Young, Educated, Jobless
& Hungry!

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 3:43pm

maybe your Uni is operating a stricter selection process for the DLP than Aberdeen did. At my Uni we got to do the DLP so long as we had an LLB (dont even think it had to be Hons.) Obviously this meant passing all the core subjects, but I cant think of any classmate of mine who didnt have a resit in at least one core subject. This could be down to available places for the Diploma as most Unis can only take on so many students in the DLP.

I think the Law Society provides Guidelines for how courses should be taught and what modules to cover, but within those the Lecturers are given free reign to teach...one or 2 of ours loved to taunt us a bit when they were busy setting exam questions.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005 at 9:27pm by John_Law »  

IP Logged

miss_advocate
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 11:59pm

Grin Hi thanks for the replies!!  I just found out today that I passed so I'm very thankful but still a bit annoyed I couldn't do better. The marker told us he agreed that we had not had enough time to complete the paper and marked it accordingly!! phew at least no resits!!!

IP Logged

John_Law

Young, Educated, Jobless
& Hungry!

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 9:27pm

Well done! Hope the 2nd term goes well for ya Happy

IP Logged

miss_advocate
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 11:00pm

Thank you!!

Im gonna work so hard this semster as I got quite rubbish marks and was graded overall at C Embarrassed lol.
So lessons learnt and no more doing assesments the night before for me!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009