Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TRAINEESHIP (Read 19549 times)
VICKI
Newbies

I

GLASGOW
TRAINEESHIP
Mar 20th, 2005 at 4:04am

I'm about to finish my fourth year of an LLB and as of yet have had no luck with traineeships.  I am intending to study my dimploma at Strathclyde University and i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to get traineeship.  Thanks

IP Logged

Pixie

teribilis est locus iste

Glasgow
Re: TRAINEESHIP
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 10:55pm

What have you done so far to try and get one?
Have you had any summer placements or legal experience anywhere?

IP Logged

VICKI
Newbies

I

GLASGOW
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 2:02am

hey, i havent had any experience anywhere as of yet, i have applied for summer placement this year i find it difficult to get places as i live in a very small town, not in glasgow, so housing is difficult for me over the summer months but htis year i am staying in glasgow the whole summer.

IP Logged

Pixie

teribilis est locus iste

Glasgow
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 3:38am

Well I don't know that much about getting a traineeship but have you had much interest from law firms, like have you got to the interview stage and then been rejected? Also, shouldn't you have been applying for traineeships in your third year?

And have you really looked about, not just the big firms, but the backstreet ones might offer one here and there. If it comes to it you should send your CV to all the firms you can find just in case.

http://www.legal500.com/index.php

That site has firms categorised by location, areas of practice etc so it might help.

Anyway good luck!

IP Logged

VICKI
Newbies

I

GLASGOW
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 4:08am

yeah i have been trying since third year, my grades are actually pretty good, i think my cv must let me down, will give it ago again though, thanks for the advice

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:43am

And punctuation, grammar and spelling too, perhaps?  That's not a wind up and I know I labour this point a bit but if you are applying to a law firm then make sure that there are no errors in your CV, application form or covering letter.

Here is a page with a bit more guidance on getting a traineeship. 

http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk/student/traineeship.html

One thing it doesn't mention is that looking for a traineeship when you are starting or even during your Diploma year is certainly not too late and in fact many people look for (and get) traineeships during this time.

Let us know how you get on.

IP Logged

Betti911
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 4:24pm

I'm a second year trainee and I had the same problems you were having in applying for a traineeship in 4th year.

Firstly don't worry too much about it. I know thats difficult at the moment but you need to concentrate on your finals first and foremost.

Secondly why not try the careers officer for help with your CV. I did and I was totally skeptical at first but now my CV is really good. I just needed a helping hand as to how to organise it.

Thirdly try to get work experience and some interesting material to put on your CV. That makes all the difference.

Good luck!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009