Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Visit Amazon.co.uk today Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Criminal Law: Actus reus & Mens rea (Read 17775 times)
Joe the Doe

Scotland
Criminal Law: Actus reus & Mens rea
Sep 2nd, 2006 at 7:51pm

hey there!

i'm soon to be going into my second year of my LLB and i've began to look ahead at the criminology module...i was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me about the basic concepts of actus reus and mens rea and what i'd be expected to know for the exams?

many thanks!

simba Smiley

IP Logged

Princess Analia

Glasgow
Re: Criminal Law: Actus reus & Mens rea
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 12:58am

Get yourself a copy of Criminal Law (Green's Concise Scots Law) by Tim H Jones.

It's what we used when we did Criminal Law & Evidence in 1st year.  It's pretty much the standard text.

Enjoy!

princessanalia1974  
IP Logged

ClaireLouise
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 2:40am

Well, I'm basically just going to say what my lecturer taught our class. Which is that Actus Reus + Mens Rea = Crime. The Actus Reus is the Action (or the omission) and the Mens Rea is the relevant state of mind. However, there is an exception to the Actus Reus + Mens Rea = Crime Rule which is Strict Liability, where the action is the crime eg driving through a red light, driving without insurance etc. If I am incorrect, someone please correct me because I can't be wrong otherwise I will fail.

Hope it's useful for you

IP Logged

Joe the Doe

Scotland
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 4:17am

I'll be glad to clarify that you are most certainly right Smiley

IP Logged

Miss Ahmed

Stirling
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:12pm

Well am glad to say i can help here  Smiley for once lol. For criminal law, we used the (3rd Edition text - T.H.Jones & M.G.A. Christie), which was very useful plus a bunch of lecture notes. Their is also a smaller bitesize text, by Law Essentials.
   Basically, the (mens rea and actus reus) constitute to the fundamentals of the criminal lawyers vocabulary. These terms, however do not have a fixed meaning. The secific forms that actus reus and mens rea take differ from one crime to another. This point can be demonstrated in a straightforward way. The actus reus of rape is non-consensual sexual intercourse with a woman. In contrast, the actus reus of theft is the taking or appropriating , without lawful authority, of property which belongs to someone else. Similarly, the mens rea involved in murder is different from that involved in culpable homicide. In both crimes someone has been killed, but it is only by examining the accused's mental state that one can determine whether he is a murderer or not.

I hope this answers your question.  Wink

Miss Ahmed Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009