Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oath On The Stand (Read 10072 times)
gaztus
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oath On The Stand
Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:53am

I am a taxi driver and was having a discussion with a law student who didn't know the answer, hopefully someone can help.

When you take your oath on the stand "Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" or whatever the equivalent is in court, what if you answered No?  I won't tell the truth.  Do you have the right?  Would you be held in contempt of court and put in jail?
I don't have any impending court cases looming, just one of many discussion with my passengers.

Thanks in advance.   Wink

IP Logged

petrocelli

Re: Oath On The Stand
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 10:51am

You have the right to say whatever the heck you want.

Practically, however, if you were unable to give an asurance to the court that your evidence would be truthful, then it is extremely unlikely that anyone would want to take further evidence from you. It would strike both at the heart of the credibility of you as a witness, and the reliability of your evidence.

Conversely, as you are probably aware, if you were sworn in and subsequently deliberately told a lie, then you would have committed the offence of perjury.

As for contempt of court, if you get the wrong Sheriff on a bad day, who can say? The obvious question which arises is that if you have no intention of giving evidence to assist the court, then why be a witness in the first place? If I were a Sheriff and had allocated a court day to hear a witness who subsequently turned up and refused to take an oath, I certainly wouldn't be a happy bunny, put it that way. Whether it was the witness or the person leading the evidence who incurred the wrath would probably depend on the circumstances.

"Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer." &&Will Rogers.

IP Logged

gaztus
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 2:36pm

Thanks,

the question was more if you were being forced by the crown to be a witness for the prosecution against someone on the defence that you knew personally and didn't want to give evidance.

IP Logged

petrocelli

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 12:50pm

The above would still hold true.

The Crown have discretion over which witnesses they will call, and will only call witnesses whose statements have been served on the defence and upon whom they intend to rely for oral evidence.

If your statement said "So-and-so is my best mate, and I'm not saying anything", then the Crown would hardly be likely to call you as a witness in the first place.

"Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer." &&Will Rogers.

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 10:07am

Yup, all of course true. With regard contempt - yes technically you could be held in contempt (for obstructing court procedure & justice, and wasting court time), although it's unlikely you'd be called if you had made it clear that you weren't that willing to cooperate. The only people who have an automatic legal right not to be called as a witness if they object are the spouse of the accused in a criminal trial. Contempt is an interesting subject - I have an article due to be published in the June issue of JLSS about it, and it is also the subject of my Phd research.

IP Logged

mr_physical
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 10:53pm

The Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995 section 155 (1) provides "If a witness in a summary prosecution -
(a) wifully fails to attend after being duly cited; or
(b) unlawfully refuises to be sworn; or
(c) after the oath has been administered to him refuses to answer any question which the court may allow; or
(d) prevaricates in his evidence,
he shall be deemed to be guilty of contempt of court and be liable to be summarily punished forthwith for such contempt of court by a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale [currently 1,000] or by imrisonment not exceeding 21 days."
The Crown very often calls unwilling witnesses.  As a matter of public policy it is not acceptable for justice to be left to the whim of witnesses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009