Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alzheimers relative (Read 4317 times)
mauled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Alzheimers relative
Jun 7th, 2007 at 2:32pm

My mother-in-law has Alzheimers and in now living permanently with my wife and I. Her current condition is total short term memory deficit. Would she legally be deemed capable of gifting her now empty house to her daughter and\or son? Or, would this require a legal decision by a court?

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Alzheimers relative
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 10:34am

It depends on her mental capacity. If she is willing and able she should consult a solicitor who will intially assess her capacity and will do whatever is needed if they are sure she knows what she is doing. It is difficult to comment in deatil as I don't know the extent of her alzheimers. There is also the risk of future challenge by another relative. The question that is usually asked is who is concerned about their posiition here - the person themself or those who would benefit?

IP Logged

Deedee

Re: Alzheimers relative
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 11:16am

If she still has capacity she should be thinking about granting a  continuing Powerof Attorney. Is she does not, you should be thinking about an application to the Court for an Intervention Order or a Guardianship order.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009