Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
land ownership (Read 11774 times)
collecting head
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

land ownership
Jun 13th, 2007 at 12:53pm

Hi all,

looking for guidance/help with regard to a small area of land to the rear of my garden.
I have for a number of years maintained land on the other side of my garden fench.(to stop long grass and weeds from coming through etc)

A new road was built some distance to the rear of my property very recently and the surrounding has been landscaped. The area directly behind my fence has not been touched.

I have before and after pictures of the work/landscaping carried out (yes I know its quite sad!!)

The land in question is approx 3mx7m in size and is now land locked. There are no other properties in this area affected.

The question is can I extend my garden fence to include this area due to length of time I have been maintaining it?

IP Logged

Deedee

Re: land ownership
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:39am

You can extend - but at your peril. You woudn't have any legal title to this land. If you sold, you'd have to explain to any purchaser that this was the position.  You would need title and possession for 10 years to become the legal owne.

IP Logged

coullboy
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: land ownership
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 3:45pm

you would have to log a claim (latin title name I cannot remember)with the registers/ sasines and show that you have made every effort to find out whose land it belong to, and then if no one contends your claim after 10years then you a chance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009