Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small claims Scotland (Read 11261 times)
elaw
Newbies

Hi

Highlands
Small claims Scotland
Nov 11th, 2007 at 9:49am

The Northern Constabulary took charge of my canoe as evidence after my brother was drowned.
Three months later I went to pick it up and it had been damaged beyond repair. The police say it was an accident, no one is to blame and they can not pay to replace it. Can I take the police to the small claims court?
Do I sue the Northern Constabulary or the Chief Constable?
The replacement cost of the canoe is 640.
Hope some one can help.

Thanks Eric Law

IP Logged

elaw
Newbies

Hi

Highlands
Re: Small claims Scotland
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 4:19pm

Update!

They were very helpful at the Sheriff Court when I took my Small Claims forms in today, and you can take the police to the small claims court and you sue the force not the Chief Constable.

Thanks for looking at my first post, no advice is better than wrong advice. if anyone is interested I will post the outcome.

Eric

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 10:58am

In Scotland the police cannot be sued for negligence-you have to prove malice. The chances of success are minimal but sometimes it's worth running a small claim in the hope of an economic out of court settlement. Don't count on that though. My advice is to write this off as a bad job and don't get involved in a stressful litigation. It's your call though.

IP Logged

humanrights
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

ScottishHumanRights.org.uk
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:22pm

grumpy wrote on Nov 26th, 2007 at 10:58am:
In Scotland the police cannot be sued for negligence-you have to prove malice. The chances of success are minimal but sometimes it's worth running a small claim in the hope of an economic out of court settlement. Don't count on that though. My advice is to write this off as a bad job and don't get involved in a stressful litigation. It's your call though.

I would be interested to know more details about this case so that I can publicise it on a website.

IP Logged

Deedee

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:52pm

Was you canoe not covered by an insurance policy? If so, it might be worth checking to see if it was still on cover.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009