Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which uni?!?!?!?!? (Read 5655 times)
rachinglasgow
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Which uni?!?!?!?!?
Feb 1st, 2008 at 2:29pm

Right, hello all, i look to you yet again for any help and advice!

I have just received unconditional offers to the Grad LLB and am now stuck choosing between my two top ones - Aberdeen and Glasgow.  I did my undergrad at Glasgow, live here, and am currently working at a firm in the centre of town.  Now on a practical sense Glasgow would be the far easier option, BUT I also want to give myself the best chance as far as traineeships etc go.

Now i know they are not the be all and end al but for a rough idea i have looked at some of the university league tables and as far as law goes Aberdeen is coming out very clearly on top.  But as i know what these things are rated on can be a bit skewed.  Does anyone know (solicitors esp) if i wold be shooting myself in the foot by going to Glasgow?  Is Aberdeen far more highly revered?  I know that when applying for traineeships there are many other factors involved, but simply as far as where i studied goes does anyone have any advice?

I wish to do my traineeship in glasgow, and am aware that as far as summer placements etc it would be far easier if i am here. 

Basically i am trying to glean if i were up against someone with equal grades, experience etc in theory would holding a degree from either uni be equally weighted?

Thanks for any advice guys, crazy big decision and one  I have to make soon!!

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Re: Which uni?!?!?!?!?
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 3:43pm

You would not be shooting yourself in the foot by going to Glasgow.  I would say that a degree from both Unis would be weigted the same. 

If you are still living at home with your parents, you might want to beef up some of the extra-curricula activites though.  But if not and there's a degree of wider world experience then there's not really a downside.

Plus, when it comes to traineeships, it would be easier to go through to Edinburgh, Falkirk and Stirling to look for jobs from Glasgow.

Aberdeen's also a good law school choice, but you seem to be asking about negatives on picking Glasgow and I can't see that there are any.

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 3:44pm

Wait - got one.  Glasgow's on a hill.

IP Logged

rachinglasgow
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 3:54pm

Hi thanks for that,   the option to go to Aberdeen would involve moving back with the parents, at the mo i am living in Glasgow.

Well Glasgow is certainly the preferable option, so you have added a degree of calm to my troubled little mind!!

Any other opinions anyone?!?!

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 6:00pm

Being honest, I don't think most solicitors will be biased either way. By the time you finish the LLB, assuming you do relatively well, you'll get onto the Diploma, and by doing so you'll have already shown that you're a dedicated and hard working individual. When it comes down to an interview for a traineeship after the diploma, in my experience the interviewer at that stage is more interested in the person than the university they graduated from. Plus, both Aberdeen and Glasgow have a good reputation for law in any case.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009