Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where to 'law' it up? (Read 3337 times)
Adamchuk
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Where to 'law' it up?
Apr 26th, 2008 at 1:08pm

Dear all,

I am in the final week of an arts degree at Glasgow in history and philosophy, and I am now considering progressing toward graduate legal study.  I currently hold conditionals from the five universities in Scotland, yet I also have a conditional from Queen's University Belfast.  Really, I am hoping that someone could elucidate and convey their experiences of the graduate LLB in Scotland (at Strathclyde if possible) to inform my final decision.  However, the two main points influencing my thought are roughly as follows;

1)  The LLB in Scotland is 6,000-8,000 approx per annum, and consists in an ordinary, three year legal degree compressed into two years.
2)  The Masters of Legal Science at Queens is 3500 approx per annum, and consists in two years of legal study, at undergrad level but more 'in-depth' (I have been informed by the course-coordinator), and requires a dissertation of 20, 000 words.

I find the MLS at Queen's attractive on the basis of the dissertation, and seems value for money - it is a masters degree.  The LLB in Scotland, however, seems to be a minimum of legal education at prime price; fine if you perceive it as a means-to-an-end, but less so to those who want a good legal education (education as opposed to basic-training).
I have spoken to a few practising solicitors in Glasgow, and a couple have warded me off the graduate LLB on the basis that it is an ordinary degree for which you are charged top dollar - the Universities in the true spirit of demand/supply/profit offer the course as a means of generating cash.   
Now, could someone who has actually done, or is currently pursuing, the LLB please rubbish or confirm the above thinking?  What is the graduate LLB actually like?  Are you lumped together with first and second year undergraduates?  if anyone is out there who lectures on these courses with an insider-view has any thoughts to contribute I'd be grateful.   
I should note that I am not interested, necessarily, in practising law, and am aware of the different legal systems in which the courses concerned are based.  Really, I would like to know what people's experiences of the LLB have been and are, as the basis of making a decision myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: Where to 'law' it up?
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 12:38am

Hi

Final year LLB student at Glasgow and I can really only answer one of your questions.  Its regarding the lumping together of first and second year undergraduates with graduate students.  The answer is yes.  The first and second year LLB is the pre requisite courses for diploma entry so everyone is "taught" together. 

The entire degree is self taught, with little guidance. Some see that as a good attribute of the course, opinions vary.

Also I would try to work out if your wish to go into the legal field as I've generally seen that those who spend that amount of money on the graduate LLB are looking to go into legal practise.  Seems a massive waste of money and time(in my lowly opinion!) if your not sure!!

Good luck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009