Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scottish Independence (Read 8395 times)
zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Scottish Independence
May 4th, 2008 at 9:33pm

Following the issue once again being at the forefront of Scottish Politics since the SNP took over Scottish devolved administration at the Executive (NOT 'Government' as I refuse to use a legally misleading brand name to describe a legal entity), what do people think about the recent developments?

There is discussion to put forward the Independence Referendum Bill at Westminster in 2010 (the correct way of course, as it would be illegal to put forward such a bill in the Scottish Parliament, being contrary to the Scotland Act), and as this was one of the SNP's key election pledges they should go through with it.

Do others think it will happen? And if so do they see any changes ultimately being affected? Or do you see the status quo remaining for the foreseeable future?

Personally (sad I know) I'll be intrigued to see what direction this issue moves in.

IP Logged

mevbrown
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Edinburgh
Re: Scottish Independence
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 1:12pm

zurich_allan wrote on May 4th, 2008 at 9:33pm:
Following the issue once again being at the forefront of Scottish Politics since the SNP took over Scottish devolved administration at the Executive (NOT 'Government' as I refuse to use a legally misleading brand name to describe a legal entity), what do people think about the recent developments?

Firstly, you can call it what you like - it's a free country. Speaking as a unionist the significant thing is the media is calling it the Scottish Government.

And in todays society, that's what counts.

Legal formalities are a matter of no significance to the average person on the street.

IP Logged

mevbrown
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Edinburgh
Re: Scottish Independence
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 3:10pm

zurich_allan wrote on May 4th, 2008 at 9:33pm:
There is discussion to put forward the Independence Referendum Bill at Westminster in 2010 (the correct way of course, as it would be illegal to put forward such a bill in the Scottish Parliament, being contrary to the Scotland Act), and as this was one of the SNP's key election pledges they should go through with it.

Do others think it will happen? And if so do they see any changes ultimately being affected? Or do you see the status quo remaining for the foreseeable future?

There's been one independence referendum, so there is a legal precedent.

From a political perspective, what is certain is there will be a lot more SNP MPs next time round which will make the issue impossible for the Tory or Labour parties to ignore.

Indeed, an independence referendum could be a major UK-wide issue in the next General Election and help decide the colour and makeup of the next government.

Consider the issue from the 3 parties perspectives:

Labour's argument of the "union dividend" (the subsidy from England to Scotland) has backfired spectacularly. Whether it is true or not doesn't matter. There is now a lot, and i mean a lot, of English voters that have bought into the idea.

People everywhere are feeling the pinch and English voters genuinely resent the Scottish "subsidy".

This strategy is just another example of Labour's incompetence.

From the Tory perspective, what would the Tory policy be on a referendum?

If they were against it, could they seriously support a referendum on the EU? Besides, they could lose key marginal seats by tactical voting from the various English national parties/supporters angry about the Scottish "subsidy".

But what if the Tories supported an independence referendum? I think everybody knows that Wendy Alexander/Labour was/is bluffing when it comes to their support for an independence referendum. Especially after Glasgow East.

Properly framed, this could be a big vote winner for the Tories. They certainly can't expect to win the next General Election on the basis of reformed Inheritance Tax.

Besides, take 50 Scottish Labour MP's out of Westminster and Mr Cameron has a job for life.

Off course, the SNP's dream is if they actually hold the balance of power after the next General Election.

Whatever happens, I think a referendum is pretty well unavoidable.

At the end of the day, democracy is all about the will of the people.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009