Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
changing from a BA to LLB, can it be done? (Read 13293 times)
bamboozled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

changing from a BA to LLB, can it be done?
May 6th, 2008 at 5:45pm

Hello,

I am a student in 6th year and am wanting to go to uni to study Law LLB. I applied this year to Strathclyde and was rejected. However, I got into the BA Law. The reason I was rejected for tha LLB was due to insufficient grades, however, this year I will do much better.

Therefore my questions are:

Can I convert to the LLB, before I even start the BA, this would have to be done in August once I had more grades, otherwise they would jst say you have already been rejected.

If not could I convert from the 2nd year of law BA into the 2nd year LLB law. And by doing this Would I get any exemptions.

All of the above refers to Strathclyde, but opinions and advice from other unis are more than welcome.

Please help. Ultiamtely my goals are: to go to starth, get llb, spend as little as time possible at uni and not undergoe the 1yr conversion.

Thank you
Bamboozled

IP Logged

bamboozled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: changing from a BA to LLB, can it be done?
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2008 at 9:33pm

Any advice and pointers guys n girls would be much appreciated, I dont want to nag but I have to accept and reject my offers from UCAS.

IP Logged

grumpy
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2008 at 11:50am

As i understand it you would at least have to do some of the BA before you could transfer to the Llb. It may even be necessary to finish the BA and then do a fast track Llb. As you have been refused entry to the Llb I can't see that getting into the BA will change their mind.

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2008 at 12:55pm

Hi bamboozled,

I'm slightly confused, when you say you don't want to take the one year 'conversion' are you talking about the diploma? Are you not actually intending on becoming a solicitor at the end of the degree?

To tackle your questions, I'll try and help as much as I can:

1. When UCAS applications are made to an institutions, each university will have a set amount of places to fill, and offers are made based on predicted grades. Every year people both over and under achieve based on what they were predicted and so it's not an exact science.

2. All of the offers will have been made in accordance with the number of spaces available on the course, so if everybody were to achieve their grades that had been made an offer then I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to get onto the course this year.

3. If however people with conditional offers did not meet their target grades then there MAY be spaces available. If that is the case then the places will be advertised in national newspapers through the 'clearing' system in August.

4. If you have exceeded your predicted grades and manage to achieve the entrance qualification then you would be able to apply for one of those places, however competition for these few remaining places is fierce and it would be highly likely that you would have to go into the university for a short interview before they decided whether or not to make you an offer.

Ok, so that's the first part of your question. As for transferring after one or two years of the BA to the LLB:

1. Yes it is possible to transfer from a BA to a LLB, however you wouldn't be able to transfer into year two of the LLB. It's a complicated system that I'll try and explain:

You pass each year at university by accumulating a certain amount of credits, and each subject is worth a certain amount of credits. Usually 6 or 8 modules makes up the total amount of credits to progress to the next year. Some of these subjects are core subjects that the Law Society dictates must be taken otherwise a LLB cannot be awarded, and others are peripheral subjects that are optional (so the student can choose what subjects to take out of these).

The BA will cover some of the same subjects as the LLB, and will not cover some, and if you transferred to the LLB you would be able to get some exemptions. However these are 'subject' exemptions (ie you would not have to re-cover subjects you had already done), but are NOT 'credit' exemptions. So you would still be required to make up enough credits to progress through each year of the degree. The result would be that you would effectively enter at 1st year and would have to choose whether to take the exemptions, and then choose other modules to make up the credits required, or not take the exemptions and have an easy ride as you'll have already covered what you'll be doing in that year.

2. The other options would be - as Grumpy has suggested - that you complete the BA, graduate and then take the two year fast track LLB, OR (assuming that you want to become a solicitor) that you graduate with the BA, find a firm that would take you on as a paralegal and put you through the Law Society exams. With the BA, you would receive a number of exemptions that would mean you taking less time to qualify than anybody starting from scratch. (Although remember you would STILL have to pass the diploma in legal practice). This has its advantages as you wouldn't get full funding (from SAAS) for the fast track LLB and so would likely have to find several thousand pounds to fund yourself, and the firm you'd be working for would fund the diploma also.

As a matter of interest, what university would the BA be at?

If you have any further questions on any of this, ask away, I'll try my best to help you.

Allan

IP Logged

bamboozled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008 at 9:02pm

Wow! Thank you for that! It really was a great help.

However, If you dont mind I do have another question regarding my attempt to get into Law. Once in Strathclyde, say I accept an offer I have to do business law BA, could I after a couple of months into the course say can I do law LLB instead to the admissions staff.

I will already be in Strarthclyde, the uni I want to do the LLB in, and in August I will have even more grades and better ones.

And therefore my question to you is would it work? Is it possible?

Thank you
Bamboozled

PS in response to your question the BA would be in Strathclyde uni also.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2008 at 9:57am by bamboozled »  

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:07pm

bamboozled,

Maybe I was a little vague in my last reply, I'll try to clarify. The only way you'd be able to switch courses a month or two in to the course would be if:

1. You do indeed manage to get the grades in August.

and

2. There are free spaces on the course.

Now for the first of these, you seem to be quite confident that you'll get the grades which is good. For the second, the allocation WILL be full by the time classes have started - it always is. However there is always the possibility that somebody will drop out after a few weeks on the course, potentially leaving a gap. Even then though, you would only be able to transfer over to the LLB if it were deemed possible for you to catch up with the modules you will have missed. Usually it would only be deemed possible to catch up within the first 6 weeks of classes commencing, beyond that they won't even consider it.

So to transfer in August as you asked? As I first answered, if you get the grades, look in the clearing section on the newspapers to see if spaces are available. If they are, phone up. If not, you'd have to hope somebody drops out then you MIGHT (and it is only might) have a chance to transfer over.

If you take what I wrote in my first reply, and what I've written in this second one, these are the ONLY ways to make it happen. So hopefully you can take things from here.

IP Logged

bamboozled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2008 at 3:18pm

Wow thank you for your reply, you have given me a lot to think about.

IP Logged

bamboozled
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2008 at 3:31pm

Just as a matter of interest, and you being a lecturer, what are the chances of people dropping out with in that time frame? Is it common I would personally imagine it is highly,highly unlikely? What would you say?

IP Logged

zurich_allan

Paisley, Scotland
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2008 at 4:07pm

bamboozled wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 3:31pm:
Just as a matter of interest, and you being a lecturer, what are the chances of people dropping out with in that time frame? Is it common I would personally imagine it is highly,highly unlikely? What would you say?

Being honest? It is actually quite common for a couple of people in any undergrad course to realise after a few weeks that a particular course is not for them and drop out. Out of an average class of say fifty at the start of first year, this is usually down to around 46-48 by half way through the first semester, and 40-44 by the end of the first full year. Of fifty students that start the LLB straight from school, only around 35 will actually graduate with that degree (some will change courses and others will drop out altogether for a variety of reasons). So there is a relatively good chance that somebody will drop out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009