Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ranking of diploma applicants (Read 9943 times)
MrsB
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Ranking of diploma applicants
Jan 18th, 2009 at 8:17pm

Hi,
I've just finished my LLB p/t at Strathclyde and am considering applying for the legal diploma.  My problem is that no-one seems willing to comment on my likelihood of getting a) a place or b) funding.  I understand the ranking process but can anyone shed any light on what average % mark had been needed for a) a place and b) funding?  (all universities seem to give standard answer that applicants vary year on year etc etc but I would be interested in how I would compare to previous applicants and understand that there are no guarantees from year to year).
Many thanks,
Mrs B Smiley

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: Ranking of diploma applicants
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 6:30pm

To be honest the situation changes every year thats probably why no one wants to give hard fast answers to that .

Im on the diploma right now and I had to eventually go with my gut instincts

It all boils down to your results in the core subjects.  Also glasgow and strathclyde are doing the diploma seperate soon its either next year or the year after there going seperate. 

Just as a rough idea what kind of grades were you achieving in the core subjects?

IP Logged

MrsB
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:39pm

Hi,
I've just done my calculations (straight forward average of all the professional subjects) and my average mark is coming out at about 57%.  Doesn't sound that great but I have no idea whether they are looking for straight merits or what.
Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks,
MrsB Smiley

IP Logged

legal bee

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:09pm

I went to Glasgow so excuse me for asking something perhaps obvious to you.  Is a 57% like a mid C?

You might still scrape in by the skin of your teeth but you probably wont get funding unless theres a huge drop in applicants and your very lucky!!

I was a mid C to D and to scared to apply to the GGSL so didnt even chance it to be honest.  I was recommended by a lecturer that I trusted to be safe and apply to the RGU, Aberdeen or Dundee at the first opportunity just so that I could be virtually guaranteed a place.  Stirlings diploma is very small and a lot of people applied there thinking they wouldnt get into GGSL and a few got rejected.  Apparently the criteria etc is as harsh it is at GGSL and half the places went to there own students so you had masses fighting over the remanining 15 places. 

I must tell you though this info is all based on last year so dont completely go with it. 

Also have you got a traineeship lined up?  Not that it has any influence on a diploma place but I wish I had secured a traineeship then did the diploma as it would have saved me thousands if I choose not to go into the profession.  Beleive me more than half of us dont have one and the situation is very grim.  I have friends who did the diploma last year still looking for a traineeship. If you have a traineeship then your a lucky women and Id recommend you play safe and do the diploma anywhere cos you have a job lined up.

I on the other hand will be seen standing at the local jobcentre this May!!

IP Logged

MrsB
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:21pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  Sorry likewise I have no idea about the Glasgow grading system but 60% was a merit pass at Strathclyde.  I liked the sound of the small class size at Stirling.  Do you have any idea what entry is like at Edinburgh?
That's really tough about the lack of traineeships - such a lot to pay out to be in such a situation! I don't have traineeship yet (not applied for any), still considering my options.
Best of luck!

IP Logged

john deed
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:25pm

average of 57 should get you in no problems but probably no funding

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:12pm

I am sorry, but you are not guaranteed a place anywhere. Many students at each university will not receive a place on the diploma because competition is so tight. The amount of law graduated greatly outweighs the amount of diploma places available each year.

IP Logged

xx-claire-xx
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:45pm

Hi, I'm on the diploma this year at Edinburgh. I really wouldn't worry about your grades as I know many people who have got on with less than 57%, including myself (it really comes down to numbers each year), although the SAAS funding can be a lot harder to come by. I had to apply for a career development loan. Also, bear in mind your average won't include EC law. I would also start applying for traineeships asap as it really is a serious problem right now. Even those with traineeships have faced problems e.g. having them deferred until 2010. The workload and expense of the course is stressful enough without the extra strain of looking for a job in the current economic climate! Good luck!

IP Logged

badfelafel

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 12:14am

If you have passed all of your subjects you should be OK.  Still apply, and if you dont get in keep phoning the diploma office even after the course starts - some people dont turn up to the course and their places are given away to those waiting in the wings.

Having said that, you might be Ok as your % isnt bad!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009