Send Topic Print
A late traineeship (Read 11618 times)
Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

A late traineeship
Feb 4th, 2009 at 4:24pm

Hello all,

I'm thinking of applying for the diploma at the moment, which is a year earlier than I was planning. However, of course, the traineeships have in general been long-since hoovered up. Is there any chance of there being any late ones offered, or any other ways to squeeze myself in?

I should probably be speaking to the various careers people at my university, but I am unfortunately miles away from it...

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Re: A late traineeship
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 1:23am

Try the smaller firms in your area. All the traineeships with the large firms are snapped up as soon as they are advertised. You would only get one here if a prospective trainee dropped out, which is unlikely. Write to every law firm that you are aware of in your area. Some do say that you get a better traineeship with a smaller firm as you get a much better variety of work.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Norse_mann

"at the weekends I'm a
viking"

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:54am

As EFP says try the smaller firms, but keep an eye out on the diploma noticeboard and the like, quite often the larger firms trainee requirements change, they may decide they need more trainees or a recruit may drop out or so, often these jobs only ever appear as a sheet of a4 on the notice board so keep checking.

Don't worry about not having a job when starting the diploma, to be honest the majority of people on my diploma did not have a traineeship arranged when they started the DLP.

Lord Denning Rules OK&&&&House of Lords Overrules OK

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 1:07pm

Also, something which my friends noticed last year is that come April/May time, the firms will be sending emails to the law school which get forwarded on to the students becuase someone has dropped out and they need to fill the space left.

Now whether that will be the same this year what with the economic climate, I can't say. Put keep your ears and eyes open!!

IP Logged

Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:49pm

Thank you, I shall try some of the smaller organisations.

I am at a slight disadvantage though, since I am no longer a student at this stage. I have already taken a gap year between graduating and beginning the diploma.

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:06pm

Not necessarily a disadvantage. Taking a gap year means that you have some actual life experience, and I am sure that you gained many skills which would be useful in a law office. I did a year abroad as part of my degree, and every interview I went to, they were very impressed that I had gone away for a year. I do not think you will have a problem in that respect.

IP Logged

badfelafel

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 9:29pm

A number of the big firms have deferred their trainees for a year (by a variety methods including one major firm which pulled unlucky diploma students names out of a hat!) so many of the diploma students just now are very worried, with the possibility of worse on the horizon.  So being promised a traineeship by a big firm is not necessarily the best thing just now!

From....
A diploma student

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 1:18pm

Although look at the policy statement released by the Law Society last week concerning taking traineeships away from students. Our diploma office emailed it around last week.

IP Logged

badfelafel

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 2:24pm

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:36am

That's the one!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009