Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The forum has recently been upgraded to the 2010 release of YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
law is a bad idea?? (Read 5136 times)
confused25
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

law is a bad idea??
May 13th, 2009 at 12:45pm

Hi forum

I am making teh transition to law from business, I got a place on the accelrated scheme at glasgow uni and was realyl looking forward to it. I am not sure if its an effect of teh recession or the vocation of law but there seems to be a lot of negativity about it as a career.

Anyone got any opinons? I was really looking forward to it but im getting comments from people like its boring, cant get traineeships, not nice people etc etc

IP Logged

wlliR
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: law is a bad idea??
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 9:45pm

spell check or a good dictionary ! never mind the boredom of a wee stabbing at Glasgow Sheriff Court

IP Logged

badfelafel

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 11:15pm

If you're excited about it... go for it.  If you have a passion for it and are any good at it, you will probably be one of the lucky ones to find a traineeship. 

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, meet some great people, learn some good things... etc!

Let us know how you got on.

IP Logged

ScotsLaw1
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 4:12pm

I too have decided to go into the law from business.  I also have heard negativity towards it, however, the way I see it is, if you are any good at it, choose your firm wisely, and get some decent legal experience at law firms of choice, and you should love it.  Further, don't forget that there is negativity towards any career you could do, hence, why you have to fully want it, to override the critics.

Yes, it's long hours, hard work and fairly often you are a dogsbody and do some really laborious work, but it's the law, it's not meant to be a creative job such as marketing etc.

The way I see it is, if I do the accelerated law degree and then decide not to progress to the DLP, it would be a welcomed edition to the CV; especially, as I already have a degree in business.  Should get a fairly good job from it, understanding business and law should make you an attractive candidate to most types of jobs in either sphere.

Best of luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009