Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Signup for free on this forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diploma: Worth it? (Read 16095 times)
trainee09
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Diploma: Worth it?
Jun 5th, 2009 at 11:09pm

this might sound a bit on the daft side, but i've just completed my dlp and quite frankly, i don't feel like a know anymore than i did when i started. I still feel ill-equipped. I'm due to start my traineeship in september and a little on the worried side that i literally know nothing. Yes, i've done law for 5 years and got a first. but in reality - the LLB is so academic that it's practical skills that matter. †

As such, i feel like the diploma taught me very little (ok so i know what styles and forms etc to use but wow, that won't get me far). If i hadn't received funding i'd be tempted to say it was a waste of £4250. †Is this just me? Or does anyone else feel like this?

I went to Aberdeen uni - on paper, it's been the best law school in the country for the best part of the last †decade - i'm trying to tell myself that my LLB was so well taught that i knew most of the DLP stuff before I did it which is why i feel i know very little. †I'm possibly too cyncial though!!

Any comments to a similar effect would be greatly appreciated, i need to know I'm not the only one terrified of the prospect of starting my traineeship.

IP Logged

badfelafel

I Love YaBB 2!

Glasgow
Re: Diploma: Worth it?
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 11:54pm

I was terrified too a week ago.  I'm now 1 week into it!  And it has been brilliant.
I was most worried about not knowing enough.  But you don't need to know the same kind of detail at first as you've been studying.  I put it in my blog at:

http://atrainee.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

scottishlaw

London
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 4:33pm

Yes, complete waste of the money but more important, a waste of a year.  I completed the diploma in 2001, have been in practise since then and have yet to use anything at all that I was taught on the diploma.

As far as i can tell the LPC in england is much better geared towards life outside the law school and focuses a great deal more on actual practice areas such as corporate and finance - which really, for most people in the larger firms are the only areas they will be involved with on a day to day basis. 

I think students should have an option to do a more big city/commercial course rather than all getting pigeon-holed into being taught criminal, residential conveyancing and probate with an open book, multiple choice "company & commercial" course tagged on.

IP Logged

trainee09
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 10:27am

thanks guys, i feel a bit better - the blog made me laugh at times as so much of it i can relate to!

Smiley

IP Logged

Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:37pm

Quick question - how many hours of lectures/seminars/tutorials/etc does the Diploma typically involve a week. Aberdeen in particular...

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 12:22am

I was at Aberdeen. 14 hours a week max.

I managed to hold down a 40 hour a week job, and a 16 hour a week job along with the diploma.

IP Logged

Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 7:21pm

everyonesfavouriteposter wrote on Jul 16th, 2009 at 12:22am:
I was at Aberdeen. 14 hours a week max.

I managed to hold down a 40 hour a week job, and a 16 hour a week job along with the diploma.

Excellent! Terrific! Thank you.

Is it at all challenging, incidentally? The idea I seem to have gained of the Diploma is one of drawn-out but fairly straightforward tedium.

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 8:37pm

Challenging? Don't make me laugh! It's all assessed coursework. Most of my tutors last term went through it with you and basically gave you the answers. What isn't coursework is an open book exam. Nobody fails the diploma.

IP Logged

Breadandcheese
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 9:32pm

everyonesfavouriteposter wrote on Jul 16th, 2009 at 8:37pm:
Challenging? Don't make me laugh! It's all assessed coursework. Most of my tutors last term went through it with you and basically gave you the answers. What isn't coursework is an open book exam. Nobody fails the diploma.

You've made me a very happy man.

IP Logged

everyonesfavouriteposter

The one and only.

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 11:04pm

Glad to be able to help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum © Kevin F Crombie 2009