Scottish Law Online > Discussion Forum Community Home | Search | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Welcome to the Scottish Law Online forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flooded Garage (Read 7171 times)
Harley
Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Flooded Garage
Jul 7th, 2012 at 10:26am

Since moving in to my property 12 years ago I have suffered from flooding to my garage 2 or 3 times. This has been sufferable until the recent non stop rain we have been experiencing. I have had to remove an inch of water from my garage twice this week.

I had originally thought the problem was due to the rubble behind my garage which butts on to my neighbours garage across the back. This area has been tidied up and so there should now be few problems here. The gap in which the rubble lay is only a couple of feet wide.

This morning I again had to sweep an inch of water out of my garage. I had another look at the gap between garages to see what was going on. On closer inspection I noticed that, as my neighbours garden is some what higher than my garden, water is running off it in to my garden and pouring in to the area around my garage. The water is coming from a sizeable pool formed by rain water at the corner of the neighbours garden closest to mine and my garage.

I appreciate that this may not be the sole cause of the flooding I am experiencing but quite clearly it is contributing to the problem. I have approached the neighbour and he isnt too interested in my plight.

What options do I have to remedy the pooling issue and the influx of water to my garden?

TIA Smiley

IP Logged

Grenache

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Flooded Garage
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 10:53am

Firstly, I would avoid getting involved in a neighbour dispute, it could end up costly with no winners.

One of my neighbours had a similar problem, and the only way to resolve it was to dig a deep trench behind the garage and create a soakaway drain, or run a field drain to lower-lying ground.  In his case, he bought a length of field drain pipe - a flexible tube which is perforated to allow water in and out but not fill up with soil.  This provided a "tank" to store sudden downpours and let the water soak away gradually.  It seemed to have worked as the problem has gone away for now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: YaBB Administrator)

Scottish Law Online Scottish Law Online Quick links:
Scotland: Law Society - Scottish Courts - Scotland Legislation - Scottish Parliament
England: Law Society - Courtservice - DCA - Home Office - Law Commission
UK: BAILII - OPSI - Parliament - House of Lords - Direct Gov - Legal 500 - Chambers
Europe: Europa - ECJ - ECHR - Eur-Lex - Commission - Parliament - OEIL
World: WorldLII - AustLII - CornellLII - Findlaw - UN - ICJ - WTO - Lex Mercatoria
Best of the Web: Amazon - Google - Y!Music - IMDB - BBC News - Radio1 - TV - RoF
Shop Online with Amazon
Discussion Forum Kevin F Crombie 2009